WHAT IS AQUAMID?
AQUAMID is a biocompatible, non-allergenic and non-absorbable (means remains at the place of injections permanently), injectable sterile hydrogel consisting of 97.5% water and 2.5% cross-linked polyacrylamide. The AQUAMID hydrogel does not contain micro-particles, therefore AQUAMID does not cause tissue hardening or fibrosis and the results are seen immediately.
AQUAMID falls under the permanent dermal filler category and this given, not by a solid product, but by water.
INDICATIONS FOR TREATMENTS WITH A DERMAL FILLER AQUAMID
AQUAMID is a soft volumizing filler. The way AQUAMID works is different from Hyaluronic Acid dermal fillers: the cross-linked polyacrylamide forms a real gel, which does not contain any solid microparticles. Being mostly water, the body accepts the gel readily and forms a thin membrane around the implant which helps to keep it in place; as the gel is very elastic, it moves with all facial expressions, thus AQUAMID becomes completely integrated with your body’s own tissue and feels and behaves like it is a natural part of your own body.
AQUAMID dermal filler integrates naturally with the body’s own tissue and does not degrade over time, which you will surely notice, when comparing the before and after results. AQUAMID has proven to work for 5 years and even more. The gel is resistant to biodegradation, and some users even reported that it persisted even after 10 years have passed.
AQUAMID dermal filler can be used for the following:
- Correction of glabella lines
- Cheek Contouring – restoring or adding volume to the cheekbone area
- Correction of Smile Lines – filling in the folds of the small lines and Nasolabial folds
- Lip Enhancement – contouring the lips, providing definition to your mouth and adding the desired volume
- Chin Augmentation – surgery-free way to reshape your chin
- Jaw Contouring – restoring any lost volume along the jaw-line or adding definition
- Treatment of depressed scars
Dermal filler AQUAMID is not indicated for the treatment of fine wrinkles.
AQUAMID is also used to correct signs of facial lipoatrophy or fat wasting in HIV+ patients.
AQUAMID reconstruction filter is the leading long-lasting filler for nose augmentation. It’s the ideal filler for shaping the nose bridge: contour, width and height can be added to the nose bridge base and projection can be added along the nose bridge. In terms of surgery free rhinoplasty, AQUAMID dermal filler can be used for the following:
- Development of the Nose Bridge: develop the base of the nose and increase projection along the nose bridge
- Correction of Saddle Nose: inject around “saddle” in the nose to balance nose bridge
- Nasal Bridge Augmentation: increase the projection of nose bridge to increase the overall profile of the nose
- Asymmetries: inject smaller volumes in multiple locations to correct imbalances and add a natural-looking symmetry
- Correction of the Nose Tip: add volume or projection of the nose tip to correct any asymmetry or imbalance
Aquamid Reconstruction has the following advantages over hyaluronic acid dermal fillers:
- No repeat injections: AQUAMID is long-lasting while many other fillers last only 6 – 9 months;
- Immediate, predictable results: what is injected is the final result. This enables your physician to correct your looks with precision;
- Natural look and soft feel: AQUAMID is soft and transparent with no micro-particles or microspheres.
For treatment with AQUAMID dermal filler no skin test is required prior to application, so it can be used directly on the skin as a safe, tried and tested product.
Aquamid Reconstruction filter should not be used in or near anatomic sites with active skin disease or inflammation. It should not be used during pregnancy or lactation.
DURATION OF THE EFFECT
The effect of the injection of AQUAMID is permanent. As the initial swelling subsides there will be some loss of volume, i.e. there will be some return of the wrinkle, crease, scar or lip shape. For this reason, 2 – 3 treatments may be necessary to obtain an optimum result.
AQUAMID dermal filler can be removed shortly after the injection if necessary. If it comes to that, a minor surgical procedure might be necessary. The rate of success varies.
SIDE EFFECTS OF A TREATMENT WITH AQUAMID RECONSTRUCTION FILLER
Injection of AQUAMID dermal filler causes an only mild reaction in the surrounding tissue which is minimal compared with reactions to other foreign bodies. This indicates that the polyacrylamide gel is well tolerated by the human body. There is no calcification, no cancer-causing effect, no inflammation and no local allergic reaction.
Adverse effects are seen in relation to 1-2% of injections. These is mostly infection which is easily treated.
Temporary reactions typically connected with injection may appear, for example, reddening, pain, oedema, itching at the site of injection.
DIFFERENCE BETWEEN AQUAMID & AQUAMID RECONSTRUCTION
Aquamid Reconstruction has a similar composition to Aquamid but higher viscosity, making it particularly suitable for augmentations requiring larger volumes, such as the treatment of lipoatrophy.